This is the new discussion going on with people in dilema on which one to choose between these two SUVs in the market.
So, in this post, I’ll tell you which SUV is better for whom so that picking one among will be easier than before.
Let us start with the new MG Hector Plus.
This is not an all-new vehicle but a facelift for the current Hector though its gonna sell alongside as ‘Plus version’ in separate.
Instead of running through the whole details of the vehicle, let me try to make things as simpler as possible but incase if it goes long, don’t worry, it’ll surely be informative at its best.
Firstoff, the changes that were done in the Hector plus are :
1. Increased dimensions by 65mm though the wheelbase is still intact.
2. Front and rear elements were redesign and the front part of the vehicle now looks more imposing and more luxurious than before which is a good thing to be mentioned.
The DRL design now looks more distinct and same is the case with the headlamps design with the arrow style and integrating the headlamps within themselves looks futuristic.
Coming to the rear, its not a complete overhaul but the changes aren’t very appealing either unlike in the case of Harrier but simple enough with the new design that looks good enough for this SUV.
3. Interiors also have changed a bit with the plush leather captain seats which look and feel luxurious and also there’s some leather work done on the dash as well which gives a premium appeal for the customers.
4. Apart from these, there are no changes that were made mechanically like in the engine tuning or other but for the infotainment, MG said that they’ve add a chatbot that chats with you while driving alone or when you want to have some fun time with the assistant.
5. Powered tailgate is another feature which they’ve been boasting of and it works with a leg swipe which is nice and apart from all these, MG says that they’ve improved the ride quality as well but in my opinion, it should be test by the customers because previously there was a complaint on its ride quality in highways being bouncy and all but I’d like to reserve this for the test ride as it need to be tested in person than posting about it through some medium like in Quora.
So, these are the changes that were done to the Hector plus compare to the Hector and price also, its pretty competitive and starting at 13 Lakhs and ending at nearly 18.5 is something that one needs to give it a thought before its purchase as there are other bigger and more competent rivals like Harrier, Seltos and Creta which are its hardcore competitors that offer something huge than Hector Plus has to offer.
Now, let us discuss some facts about the MG Hector plus because there are some changes that were expect from it but MG somehow neglected them even in their new offering as well.
1. Wheels are small for its size and everyone asked for either a new alloy design that appeals massive or atleast bigger sized tyres which didn’t happen.
2. The Infotainment wasn’t that responsive and it isn’t new either in this Hector plus and the 360° camera quality was a bit laggy too. Manual ac controls would’ve been nice instead of the touch ones as it might lead to any crash if the driver is looking at the infotainment for all the controls.
3. Ride quality and the weight of the SUV is actually stopping the customers to consider it as their primary option but that also didn’t seem to have improved in this one considering the changes and improvement we’ve seen with Harrier 2020.
4. Automatic transmission in diesel is still not offer which was kind of a bummer for the customers as every rival of Hector plus is offering one.
5. 3rd row is strictly for kinds who are under 5 or 10 years as adults can’t find either the space or comfort no matter what tricks they try on it. Seats are set to their lowest and the leg room, underthigh support is lacking as well.
6. Mileage is the big draw as though other 2.0lit engine powered SUVs produce better mileage than Hector Plus, due to its weight, it has taken a toll in the mileage.
So, to conclude about the MG Hector plus, its for the customers who love tech intesively and also the ones who love to have a vehicle that looks big and imposing. But if you want something better than MG Hector plus, then you need to wait till the launch of the Tata Gravitas if you desire for a better 3-row SUV compared to the Hector plus interms of comfort and accommodating more people inside.
Now, let us jump into Tata Harrier.
Its a stellar looking SUV in all ways possible be it design, powertrain or even the interiors as they look less nonsense with everything laid out well and in reach.
The Grudges everyone was having with the Harrier previously is that there was no sunroof, ORVMs look fatty obstructing the vision at corners, USB ports need a hunter 😆😆 and also the alloys looked pretty basic and no powered driver seat and much more like this.
But, with the facelifted model, Tata has managed to compensate most of the requirements that came with the feedback and now, its not all the biggest improvement and all in every department but not all bad either and a very attractive design to look at.
In my opinion, Harrier is a pretty good package that we get from Tata Motors and features like Powered driver seat, panoramic sunroof, sharkfin antenna, new additions for the touch screen and also the automatic and all add to its favour and most notably, the colours, new alloys, dark edition, revised ports position and all are great and at safety front, the disc wiping, ESC, Hill Hold, Driving modes, ESP and all add to the betterment while there are still some things missing in it.
Among them, the important and immediate requirements would be like :
1. Powered tailgate
2. Powered front passenger seat
3. Electronic parking brake or even a normal handbrake would’ve done the job fine, instead of the aircraft style one which actually takes more energy out of the one who drives it.
4. Reclining function for the rear seats would’ve added that extra bit of luxury inside the cabin but the seat angle is pretty decent as well.
5. Features like TPMS, rear disc brakes(This is a particular mention as Harrier is a heavy SUV and to stop it, only front discs would be less in my opinion) and connected cartech would’ve improved the overall ability of the Harrier and also paddle shifters could’ve improved the experience of the customers to a whole new level.
Verdict : Its a tough choice to pick one among these two, but driving wise and comfort wise, you can fit 5-midsize adults comfortably in Harrier which was not the case with Hector Plus as accommodating 4 is the very viable option in it or if you’ve small children, then it’d certainly fit them well but for mid-size or full sized adults, its gotta be the Harrier for sure.
Though the Hector Plus is a very good offering interms of tech, space, seats and all, its the Harrier that cocoons you well with its better ride quality and comfort of an automatic and the mileage figures are pretty good considering its size and proportions as well. So, its the Harrier I vote for (I’m not at all partial to any of those companies but trying to pour out my opinion in practical as possible and this has nothing to do with either Ban China products or partiality thing and all).
Thank you for reading this post and if you find it informative, do encourage me through your upvotes and also don’t forget to share this because there might be people who require this.