We think you might just trick your children into eating their vegetables with our broccoli and cauliflower gratin. Use it as a main course, a Thanksgiving side, or however else you fancy.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Recipe
Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Recipe Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large head broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 oz. Gruyère, grated (about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Arrange cauliflower and broccoli in the prepared dish.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes (do not let it darken). Slowly whisk in milk. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg and 1 1/4 cups cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil; bake until vegetables are tender and the top is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.